Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fixes and more Falafel

It was brought to my attention that my blog was not allowing comments to be posted, so I figured out how to fix that and now anyone may leave a comment on my posts.  However, since ANYONE can leave a comment, all comments will be sent to me for approval.  This will prevent any unwanted comments from being posted -- i.e. SPAM.  So, please feel free to leave comments and if you have been reading my blog, please consider becoming a "follower."

I also had a request for my Falafel recipe.  Like a lot of my recipes, I find a recipe and over time adapt it to my liking.  My falafel recipe is adapted from the "Baked Falafel" recipe by: Bette on allrecipes.com

Falafel

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 lb. dry garbanzo beans, soaked and cooked
1/2 cup dry parsley
6 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
Place garbanzo beans, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, baking soda, flour, and eggs in a large food processor.  Process until mixture is coarsely pureed. In a mixing bowl, combine garbanzo mixture and red onions and mix well. 

Using a cookie scoop or your hands, form the garbanzo mixture into 1 1/2 to 2 inch round balls and flatten slightly on 2 sides so they will sit nicely in the pot while frying.  Fill a large pot or frying pan with olive oil so that it will only cover the falafel balls 1/2 way.  Heat on the stove on medium-high heat until the oil is hot.  In manageable batches, place falafel balls in the hot oil and allow to cook until very slightly brown, but still green.  Using tongs, flip the falafel balls over and cook until very slightly brown, but still green on the other side.  Remove falafel balls to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the extra oil and repeat until all falalfel balls have been cooked.

I serve my falafel in soft pita bread with lots of hummus, lettuce, and tomatoes (my husband likes tomatoes on his, I do not).

These turned out awesome, as I mentioned before.  But, if you want to treat yourself to falafel without making it at home, I highly recommend Jerusalem Garden on 5th St. in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  My falafel is awesome, there's is outstanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment