Thursday, May 5, 2011

Seeds and Searching

Today on the preschool front, my 3's class began it's study of seeds & plants.  I was happy to find out that some of the kids do know where seeds come from. This was especially exciting to me after my recent discovery that none of my 3's class kids knew where eggs come from!  I guess it's a sign of the times.

After a discussion of, and a book about where seeds come from, the kids were able to explore further by looking inside some different fruits to find their seeds.  Some of the kids were somewhat surprised that they eat seeds every day without even knowing it (until now).  Later, magnifying glasses were available to get a closer look at the seeds and their homes -- an opportunity that was definitely taken advantage of by many of the kids (some more than others, of course).

On the home front, Froggy Boots had a short visit from one of her Grandmas (my husband's Mom) and then went down for her regular afternoon nap -- from which she still has not woken up (3:30pm).  During her extended nap period I was able to do some more preparation for my switch from a traditional preschool curriculum to a Montessori curriculum for the 2011-2012 school year.  After searching for close to an hour for a Montessori lesson plan template and having almost no luck whatsoever, I determined that I might as well give up the search and create my own.  So, that is what I did.  Once I figure out how to add files to my blog I will post my Montessori lesson plan templates for anyone who might be interested in using them.

This evening is the final board meeting of the year for my preschool.   Instead of meeting at the church where the preschool is located, we are meeting at the current year board president's house.  I'm looking forward to a yummy potluck style selection of  hors d'oeuvres.  My preschool Mom's are some of the best cooks out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment